Wednesday, January 23, 2013

MARXISM

Ascetic's Song
By Ahuti

Genre:Poem

I wrote poems
            not for daily bread
I planted my poems
            not in rice begging bowls
                        set before glutted ones
I planted poems
            in the brows of the children
Glutted ones may say
            Not poem/not song
            I sang only slogans
But the ravaged nipples of my mother's breasts bear witness
            I sang a new way of life
What have I to fear?
            I sang the song of the hungry ones.

There in the contented one's dwelling
            development slogans blaring
Here in the poor one's dwelling
            flames of hunger flaring
throbbing like a festered wound
            painful life
Hopes of a tasty scrap to eat in this life
            burning like blisters
            in the children's eyes
There levelling guns
            at suffering ones' doorways
            haughty murderers getting intoxicated
Here Mangale Chepang's daughter coughing in waves
            all the night long
Development slogans fired like bullets
            slamming into her chest
Numb from coughing all the night through
Chepangi daughter
            able to cough no more/
            retching from her gut
            vomiting time and again
Had there been a hot scrap
            for her stomach
she too would be smiling
            a moon-like smile
But unable to digest
            development slogans
            on an empty stomach
What befell the wretched one!
Scratching at her mother's lap/
            surrendering life with two tear drops

In this time
            the hearths of the suffering ones
            thus fouled
Standing in tears
            how can I sing
            a song of contentment?
At the word of courtiers
            to beat the drum
on feet as if fettered
            by ankle bracelets
how can I dance before the palace?
Oh! How can I auction myself
            for a few coins?

And so, in this time
standing in tears
            of the suffering ones
I sang poems of liberation/sang songs
            that plant a moon just like pure gold
            in the brows of the children
Let the courtiers say
            I sang only slogans/sang protest
But the ravaged nipples of my mother's breasts bear witness
            I sang a new way of life
What have I to fear?
            I sang the song of the hungry ones.

There haughty murderers' gun muzzles
            singing songs of peace
here load-crushed aching spines
            absorbing bayonet wounds
There the landed ones
            passing out promises of independence
here in the dark chamber of the torture house
            crushing my beloved friend
Had doves of peace truly taken wing
my friend's dreams too
            would be dancing in the sky like rainbows
Had the flower of independence truly blossomed
on my friend's lips too
            a thousand moons would be smiling
But after songs of peace
            issued from murderers' gun muzzles
false promises of independence
            slammed into a heart made cold and rough
What befell the wretched one!
Scratching at the ground
            passing blood clots from his mouth
bedecking his eyes with the morning's dreams he's surviving
            in the dark chamber
like a seed in famine

In such barbaric times
standing close by the martyr's grave
how can I sing false songs?
Standing before erect Sagarmatha
How can I
            like a sniveling coward
            survive by bowing my head?
Oh! How can I forgive these evil ones?
If not to blare forth the call
            of fresh blood stains on the shawl
            of a raped wounded naked sister
If not to insert the vows
            of bayonet-wounded bloody hearts
Why do I now sing a song? Why sing a poem?
Why insult my own pen?

And so in this time
standing close by the martyr's grave
levelling heart's stem
            at the landed ones' gun muzzles
to plant a moon just like pure gold
            in the brows of the children
I sang the devotion of martyrs
sang a poem not to be left unsung
Let the glutted ones say
            I sang not songs only slogans/
            not poems only rebellion
But the ravaged nipples of my mother's breasts bear witness
            I sang a new way just like the victory of light
What have I to fear?
            I sang the song of the hungry ones.

Analysis:

               This poem was written in 1990. It tells about the oppression being experienced by the people. The poem describes thr hardships during those time. It tells slavery within a given culture. how the women were being raped. The people being killed without giving a chance to fight and seek justice.The author of this poem shows his rebellion and disappro through writing this poem.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment